Case Study: McCarthy Tétrault LLP
When major companies are faced with that “who are you going to call?” moment in response to a website dilemma, Thrillworks’ name inevitably comes up. That’s because we’ve built a reputation as a company that solves problems, and helps other companies—from a Web standpoint—run more smoothly and more efficiently. Another thing that sets Thrillworks apart is the sheer number of word-of-mouth referrals we receive. Most of our current clients were simply told about us by one of our satisfied customers. The situation we faced and the work we did at McCarthy Tétrault provide excellent examples of this dynamic.
McCarthy Tétrault, one of Canada’s largest law firms, had selected the RedDot CMS product as their content management system. However:
- After struggling for some time with their website, the client, along with its incumbent digital agency, came to the conclusion that they would not be able to build the site as intended.
- Complicating the matter was the intricate backend system integration at McCarthy Tétrault that was required for the new site.
Before abandoning the CMS solution in which they had so heavily invested, McCarthy Tétrault turned to two sources for help and advice: a fellow law firm whose needs were similar—and RedDot itself. Independently of each other, both of these companies advised McCarthy Tétrault that Thrillworks would be the company to solve their problems.
The challenge posed to us by McCarthy Tétrault was to architect a new solution that met their needs, yet, to keep as much of the code as possible that had already been created. Additionally, our initial role was to aid, guide and coach the incumbent agency; in other words, we were to work with them and through them, not replace them. (In due time, however, Thrillworks did in fact replace this firm.)
By the time the first meeting with McCarthy Tétrault was complete, Thrillworks was able to formulate and demonstrate a different approach and a new solution to the problems that had plagued them since the very beginning of the project. Of course, this brought McCarthy Tétrault great relief (again, a great deal of time and money had already been invested).
- Based on the thinking and competency we demonstrated in that first meeting, Thrillworks was engaged to guide the existing digital agency through the architecting and development stages of the new website.
- Thrillworks continued to play a key role and, ultimately, helped with the configuration and install. Finally, we trained the appropriate staff on the project, which was deployed successfully.
- Because of McCarthy Tétrault’s complicated backend systems, Thrillworks architected a unique solution that uses a CMS solution in an unconventional yet versatile and creative manner: the relevant data from the backend systems is accessed securely and skinned by the CMS system.
- Within a matter of weeks, Thrillworks had successfully developed and implemented the new solution and resulting website which had previously eluded (and frustrated) the client for many months.
- Our successful and innovative use of the RedDot CMS resulted in significant cost savings for the client, while at the same time meeting the client’s original requirements for up-to-the-minute content delivery.
- McCarthy Tétrault was so pleased with our work that we were retained on a long-term basis. We continue to work with and support all of McCarthy Tetrault’s enterprise-based website needs.
- McCarthy Tetrault’s website was recognized as an Official Honoree in The Webby Awards (Financial Post: April 16, 2008).
Visit Client Website